Monday, August 4, 2008

Face for radio

As a politics reporter, my stories are sometimes brought into conversations among news commentators, like Renk. He does a local radio talk show in Battle Creek on WBCK 95.3 FM, and this morning, he was talking about a story I wrote.

To summarize the story, Democrats are accusing U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Tipton, of being a puppet for Big Oil, and the GOP is blasting Walberg's likely opponent, state Sen. Mark Schauer, D-Bedford Township, of lying about "never" taking contributions from oil companies.

There's a lot of nuance here, so it's easy to get lost in the rhetoric. As I pointed out in my story, Schauer hasn't taken any contributions from oil companies in his congressional race. However, he has accepted contributions during previous state House and Senate races. Walberg, on the other hand, has accepted contributions from big oil companies, and he hasn't tried to deny it.

You can listen to Schauer's comment that started this particular exchange here.

Renk, as well as Schauer's campaign manager, brought my story into the mix. You can listen to our conversation here.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Well done sir, I look forward to the round table. I liked, "not well phrased".