Thursday, June 12, 2008

Back in the saddle again

It's been almost a year since I last had a chance to write, and a lot -- I mean A LOT -- has changed since then. (Beside the new blog, which is REALLY annoying.)

Kris, the boys and I have moved into a new house with my mom. It's amazing; the house, the neighborhood, the arrangements. All of it. We live on a cul de sac, which is perfect for street hockey and riding bikes. It's quiet and peaceful. No more airplanes or highway traffic all night. For the first time since my childhood, I can fall asleep to the sound of crickets and wake to chirping birds. Nice.

Michael just finished the second grade and Anthony the first. They're growing like weeds, and I couldn't be more proud.

I'm still at the Enquirer, but I was promoted a year ago to the politics beat, which is the premier beat at the paper... At least, that's what I've been told. I don't feel any more important, just busier.

A couple weeks ago, we walked in the American Cancer Society's 24-hour Relay for Life. Mom, Dad, Angie, Tony, Julie, Kris, the boys and I split up the 24 hours. Grams and Gramps were there for the "survivors' lap," which was appropriate. We were "Team Daphne," after all. All told, we raised more than $1,200 to help fight cancer, and I'm damn proud of us. Next year, we're hoping to get a lot more people involved, walk a lap, raise some cash. You know, pick a few free agents in the off-season.

The only real other piece of news is I finally got my shot to try out for a professional hockey team. The Battle Creek Revolution is one the newest Mid Atlantic Hockey League teams, and I got called back for another tryout this fall. The coaches told me I was good enough to play professional hockey, but I need to lose about 40 pounds. Talk about being on a mission.

I'm sure there's lots more. I just can't get it all in tonight. Be patient with me. I'll try to post more often than annually.

Stay tuned.

Peace and love.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Yeah, you're back!

Anthony said...

Also, you can see some pictures of Team Daphne's Relay For Life action here:
http://metaphysicalrockstar.com/gallery/relay_for_life

Go Team Daphne!