Saturday, June 21, 2008

One for the WTF file

Today started like a great Saturday. I was up at 6 a.m. and met my brother-in-law at 6:50 to golf. We left my car at the D Avenue carpool lot, by US 131, and headed off for 18 holes. Felt great. Had a good round, lots of fun, just a little rain.

Sounds great, right?

When I got back in my car and started it to head home from the carpool around 2:15 p.m., it sounded like the world was coming to an end. I panicked a bit, shut the car off after only a few seconds, and tried it again. The noise was horrific and my eyeballs were vibrating in their sockets.

Someone had stolen my catalytic converter; reached underneath my car and cut the thing off. WTF!?

After a few hours of calling the police, talking with my insurance company and visiting the local mechanic, I still have the noisiest car in the Western Hemisphere and I am looking forward to paying about $850 to repair the damage caused by someone who will get about $120 for my used catalytic converter at a scrap yard.

I have two thoughts here. The compassionate thought is not to get upset, because really, there are greater tragedies. And clearly someone has hit rock bottom if they've resorted to stealing and selling catalytic converters. Perhaps I should be more sympathetic.

The other thought is to rip the S.O.B.'s heart out through his throat.

I'm trying to stick with the first one, but I'm an angry man. Who the &#$@ does some stupid !*^% like that? What the #@*$ were they thinking?

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Oddly enough, I think this is becoming a common issue. It happened to my friend Rob too. It's something about the fact that there is a very small amount of platinum in a catalytic converter, so people can get a relatively large amount on the resale. Someone just rolled up on Rob's Jeep with a sawzall and cut the thing out. People suck, sorry bro.